Did you know that April 12th is National Grilled Cheese Day? I didn’t know that was a thing. The things you learn via trending on Twitter. Here’s my attempt at the cauliflower grilled cheese sandwich, first seen on The Iron You. For the record that site has some amazing food, it makes me super hungry, so you’re welcome in advance!
Who doesn’t love grilled cheese sandwiches? Like, they’re crazy right!?! So I was chilling on Pinterest, because that’s what I like to do when I am bored at 3 am and I am putting off working on blog post. #guilty ▬ I found this cauliflower grilled cheese recipe. I thought to myself that looked yummy, of course it looks better than how mine turned out. As my one friend told me, healthy food looks good, but it’s time consuming and that can’t be more true.
You don’t need to be gluten free to enjoy the no-bread sandwiches. This is good for anyone who wants to cut out bread. This is my first time ever doing this, I think I had more a mashed potatoes texture than the rice like texture, practice makes perfect. It still turned out well though.
- 3 cups of cauliflowers
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 slices of cheese of choice
- Preheat the oven to 450F and move the rack to the middle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (I just used a non-stick pan) and oil it.
- Place the cauliflower florets in the food processor and pulse until it is about the size of rice. It should be finely chopped but not pulverized.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 8 minutes, until cooked and soft.
- Allow the cauliflower rice to cool so that it is easier to handle. Place in a tea towel and squeeze out as much moisture as you can. This is a very important step as the cauliflower rice needs to be dry to form into bread slices.
- Place the dry cauliflower in a mixing bowl, add the eggs, mozzarella and salt and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal sections, and shape each into a square on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 16 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool 10 minutes before removing from the parchment paper.
- To make the grilled cheese sandwiches: heat the butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Place one slice of the cauliflower bread into the pan, top with cheese, and another slice of bread.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes on each side, until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.
Cauliflower and cheese — yum!
hmm — going to have to try this — thanks for sharing
I love Cauliflower!! This sandwich looks so yummy…I’ll definitely try to make it myself 🙂
I love grilled cheese! Thanks for sharing :]
Well this is a little different and looks yummy.
Whoa! I’ve heard of cauliflower pizza crust and my daughter does cauliflower mac and cheese but never this. It looks interesting.
Oooh this sounds amazing!! Love that its love carb and cheesy!! Two of my favorite things 🙂
I have seen so many cauliflower recipes, but none for “bread” yet! I am vegan, but I am sure I can use another binder other than egg to keep it all together. I can’t wait to try making a vegan grilled cheese!
I love Cauliflower but have never heard of making it into a sandwich. We will have to try it.
I’ll have to give thi s a try. I love raw cauliflower so I should like this. I’ll test it on the 2 yr old grandson too.
So this recipe is a little iffy I don’t know if I can have a grilled cheese without bread , but it does look really good
Interesting using the cauliflower as the bread. A bit too time consuming for me.
This sounds tasty! Much healthier than regular grilled cheese!
This looks so delicious. I love cauliflower with cheese sauce so I want to try this recipe.
Oh my …. this looks awesome! I love that it is really low in carbs.
I have heard of cauliflower mashed potatoes but I have never seen cauliflower grilled cheese!
This sounds interesting I will have to try it . Thanks for the recipe.
I love grilled cheese! I bet my mother in law would just love this recipe!
I am making this, because I love cheese and egg so much. Thanks for the special recipe.
What an excellent idea, I keep hearing about all these recipes with cauliflower, but haven’t felt compelled to try any – this one is a must!!
I love trying new twists on old favorites. This sounds like a good one.
This is really unique. I need to give it a try!