I have four crazy kids I have to teach them that brushing their teeth is not only healthy and good for them, but it can awesome be fun and rewarding.
5 Ways to get Kids to Brush Their Teeth
1) Toothbrushes – They now have toothbrushes with different charters on them. I let the kids each pick out their own design between character ones, they got ones that are customized with stickers. It gets them excited! There’s also kid power toothbrushes that play a song, so kids will brush their teeth the whole time until the song is over. Very awesome!
2) Reward Charts – Making a simple dental reward chart with stickers. Gives the kids something to look forward to at the end of the week. Like have a small treasure chest with little reward toys, candies, etc they get at the end of each week. Here’s a chart that we use and seems to be really working out.
3) – Books about Brushing Teeth – I recently got a few books on the topic of brushing teeth, to show the kids how important it is to brush their teeth and reading is very important as well. It’s a win-win. Here’s a few books about brushing teeth, you should check out.
4) – Learn by Example – YOU! Let them watch you brush their teeth, how you keep your teeth clean and healthy, kids like to copy what we do. Brush your teeth together, make it a family thing to do. Help them brush their teeth. Teach them how to go from front to back. Then if you’re brave you can let them brush your teeth.
5) Toothpaste & Mouthwash – This is where it can get tricky, my kids are super picky about the taste of the toothpaste they use. They always seem to complain about the flavor. I recently found Natural Dental’s Cavity Zapper, which has both toothpaste and mouthwash, which comes in Berry Blast and Groovy Grape flavors.
The Natural Dentist’s children’s line in particular includes our Cavity Zapper Toothpastes, Plaque Zapper Toothpaste which is flouride-free and Mouth Rinse. The gel toothpaste does not contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), and there are no artificial flavors, sweeteners, or colors. It comes in two great, kid-approved flavors – Berry Blast and Groovy Grape. The Natural Dentist to make sure that kids and their parents have the best clinically-proven oral care products – products that don’t contain alcohol, harsh chemicals or artificial colors or flavors.
All of the kids picked the Berry Blast over the Groovy Grape, but they said it wasn’t bad though. They were excited for brushing their teeth and that’s the whole point right? Overall I totally recommend this for kids to use. They also have an adult line as well, I’m about to check that out for myself honestly. You can find Natural Dental’s Cavity Zapper & Natural Dental Plaque Zapper in most stores, here’s a location lookup.
Disclosure: I received 3 cavity zapper toothpastes from the Natural Dentist brand, in exchange for a honest review.